[haiku] Re: Haiku installation

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 18:19:05 -0700

Jonas Sundström wrote:
"Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Jonas,
Jonas Sundström wrote:
<snip>
In a multiuser setup, which Desktop folder on that other volume would you integrate?
Multiuser scenarios that may come in the next year (or two
or three, who knows) are interesting, but I think it would
be better to ourselves more with not inconveniencing users
today. :)

I don't pretend to know every BeOS/Haiku user out there
but I can't imagine removing desktop integration would
inconvenience a large number of people as long as desktops
folders are shown by default. Even if it would inconvenience
a few current BeOS users I think it's the right thing to do.

We agree, but a decision has already been made to the contrary in the past. That being the case, I would prefer to have some form of workaround, even if it is suboptimal, rather than to have to use the Terminal (as Scott has been doing until now).

I am not aware of an attribute-related issue: what exactly
happens if you were to show a Desktop folder now?

Tracker does a good job at suppressing the /boot/home/Desktop
but you can try a desktop folder off any other volume, e.g.
from Terminal:

$> open /SomeVolume/home/Desktop

You will get a fullscreen Tracker window, where the borders
are offscreen. You can use the resize-knob though. Not the best user experience. (One of the few drawbacks of storing a
window's properties as attributes on the actual folder.)

That sounds like obsessive behavior without regards to common sense: subjecting users to such a thing just to comply to spatiality borders stupidity IMHO.

Cheers,

Jorge/aka Koki