[openbeos] Re: Couple of non-sequiters

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 19:59:10 -0400

This mailing list exists for cross kit issues, for announcements and general
OBOS related stuff.

It suffers from many of the same issues that BeDevTalk suffered from, back in
the Be days - people posting off topic.
BDT suffered this many times. It drove the Be engineers mostly off of the list.

And I have seen an increasing number of unsubscribes from this list, too.

Unless someone can convince me, ***OFFLIST***, that this list should stay
around, it will disappear by week's end or so. To be replaced by an announce
mailing list (which will be moderated and posting by "staff" only) and a
mailing list that is by kit lead invite only.

I know this sound harsh and draconian. I *WANT* this project to be "of the
people". But this just is not working. We can not be alt.politics. Or whatever.
I was waiting for the Linux zealots to show up, next. Part of the problem with
email is that it is *too* easy. It is just as easy for me to write to > 500 of
you as it is for me to write to one person. People posting on this list forget,
I think, that this is a forum for discussion and development of OBOS. Not
politics. Not propaganda.

Well, if anyone has any thoughts, send them directly to me.