[haiku-inc] Re: Contract proposal: website & R1B1 work

  • From: "Adrien Destugues" <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 07:47:41 +0000

29 mai 2015 09:36 "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit:

Am 28/05/2015 um 17:45 schrieb Augustin Cavalier:

A quick investigation of io.js revealed that the only thing really
blocking us from porting it is the awful Gyp-based build system, but
that shouldn't be *too* hard to tweak. JS engines tend to be pretty
similar in their OS requirements, and with JavaScriptCore's JIT humming
along nicely in Web+ (after some kernel changes by Ingo and Adrien), I
see no reason why V8js wouldn't work just as well.

I strongly suggest not to port another language. I really think we have
enough choices on Haiku
already to tackle this, and I wouldn't want to spend donated money on such an
endeavor.
Even fixing Ruby (which shouldn't take longer than porting another language,
and then fixing that
one to work) should be outside of the contract's realm.

You may even want to implement it using the Services Kit. Otherwise, I'd
probably choose Python.

Another reason for this is we will want to use the tool on all supported
architectures. While getting Ruby or V8 running on x86 should be possible
(given enough time), it may be harder to get them running on other
architectures, in particular PPC and MIPS. For this purpose, the possible
choices are C++, Python, Perl, and Bash (these are already needed by our
bootstrap process). Anything else would make the porting process more difficult
than it already is.

--
Adrien.