[haiku-inc] Re: Contract proposal: website & R1B1 work

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 May 2015 22:48:47 +0200

Am 23/04/2015 um 17:07 schrieb Augustin Cavalier:

* Website:
- work on upgrading Drupal from 6 to 8, which includes (at least)
theme rewrite to Drupal 8's templating system, removal of old modules,
verifying newer modules work, migrating content, and straightening out
the convoluted permissions system.

While working on that would be much appreciated, I think it's actually still too early for the migration to Drupal 8. First of all, it hasn't been released yet, and second of all, this version is supposed to offer a migration path from earlier releases.
Until that becomes available, I wouldn't waste any time on it. Who knows, it might actually work :-)

- migration to CloudFlare (this has already been discussed on the
-web and -inc MLs previously, and is currently pending discussion from
the board; so however & whatever I work on here is subject to the
board's decision)

Instead of migrating already, I would rather like to see an analysis of 1) where our current problems are,
2) what we should try to change,
and finally,
3) how would the migration work, and would it entail, what changes would be caused to the current infrastructure.
4) what are the costs?

* R1B1:
- investigating barely-reproducible regressions from the
tracker_layout merge
- updating outdated/vulnerable ports
- fixing native software in HaikuDepot that have critical (severely
functionality-hampering) bugs (BeShare, for example)
- any other UI/UX related tickets in the B1 milestone

While this would all be welcome, too, it's also mostly stuff that doesn't really get us much further to the actual release. I would rather like to see someone working on solving the infrastructure that prevents us from releasing than mostly cosmetic changes.

I'd be starting work somewhere around June 1st. I may take a week off
for a family vacation somewhere in the middle. I have to be finished
with contract work between the first and second weeks of August.

I'd like decision about the first 240 hours by the 1st of May. The
additional 120 hours I'll let you know if I can do by the 11th of May.

That sounds all great, but it would be really nice if you could work on something more meaty than what you proposed.

How should I submit invoices, and how often? After each chunk of 120 hours?

As often as you like, but depending on the project, it would be nice to either have a time or milestone based schedule.

Bye,
Axel.