[haiku-inc] Re: Contract proposal: website & R1B1 work

  • From: kallisti5 <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 May 2015 15:40:58 -0500

On 2015-05-08 15:26, Augustin Cavalier wrote:

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 3:58 PM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

That would be really great! You should probably interview Alex, and
Oliver to see what exactly should be done, document it, and then
work from that.

Oliver hasn't been really active in it AFAICT, it's mostly been Alex.
The last I heard from Alex was that the webserver was half-okay, but
the client (buildhost) was too unstable due to Ruby bustage... I'll
see what can be done, but more likely than not, the client will wind
up getting written in something that isn't Ruby. I'll be sure to get
up to speed with him before starting, of course.

The client was working... but only on our ruby 1.8.7 port.

I wanted to redesign it with a lot of the improvements in Ruby 2.2.x but
the later rubies don't work so great and need a lot of deep pthread love
under haiku. (I have a ruby 2.2.0 recipe on my dev machine that
"kind-of-works")

Repos:

https://github.com/kallisti5/haikeuken
https://github.com/kallisti5/haikeuken-client

I can give advice as needed... standing up haikeuken is actually
pretty easy. It has a lot of automation built-in. (it even clones
our git repos and manages pulls automatically via a task) Documentation
included. (although a little rough)

I'd love to work on this stuff more, only so many hours in the day
tho :-)

haikeuken is all restful API's so should be easy to use in other
languages. Definitely probe around though and make sure whatever
language you choose is understood by as many Haiku'ers as possible.

-- Alex