[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6723@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2014 05:10:50 +0000

> You know, I probably have no right to comment on this, but I'm sick of
> people trying to divert the development of other alternative operating
> systems & turn them into "yet another Unix clone", "yet another Linux
> distro", or "yet another vehicle for the Linux kernel". It's disgusting
> & very disrespectful of the specific OSes that're being referenced.
> BeOS, Haiku, AtheOS, Syllable, Pyro, etc. represent a different family
> of OS. They're not a Unix clone & that's perfectly alright. If you want
> to use the Linux kernel, perhaps you should use an actual Linux distro
> or start your own. Haiku isn't a Unix clone. It has it's own style, own
> kernel, & own community built around it. Stop trying to kill it's core &
> turn it into something that it's not.

> On 8/22/2014 11:24 AM, Sia Lang wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 7:12 PM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > <mailto:axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
> > Not all, but enough to give a fair assessment. I've done kernel work
> > in Linux since 1997 and five years in NetBSD. That gives me a pretty
> > good idea about the driver situation.
> And yet, you find yourself here, rather than sticking with Linux or
> *BSD. If you're going to be here, then be here. If not, then go back to
> Linux or *BSD.

> > But for all I know you're a genius who could improve all the Linux
> > drivers over the weekend, to new heights. That said, I don't think
> > this pissing contest matters - Linux has proven itself as a solid OS
> > with working drivers, Haiku hasn't.
> The Linux kernel was first released in 1991. It's now 2014. That's 23
> years that Linux has had time to progress from conception until
> maturity. That's 23 years that Linux has had to improve itself year
> after year. Were you around when Linux was first released? Did you
> experience those early years? Did you experience those growing pains? I
> was around, I experienced them. That's part of the development cycle of
> EVERY SINGLE OPERATING SYSTEM IN EXISTENCE. Linux's device drivers
> weren't always as capable as they are now & the code is really horrid.
> For comparison, look at the *BSD drivers. I've had more pleasant
> experiences porting kernel level code from *BSD, than Linux. Haiku was
> started in 2001. That's 13 years that Haiku's been in development.
> Without a doubt, Haiku has only gotten better. When it's kernel &
> drivers have been around for 23 years, I'm sure that they'll be a lot
> better than they are now. Stop trying to kill the core of Haiku in an
> effort to turn it into a bastardized Linux distro. BeOS wasn't Linux;
> Haiku shouldn't be, either.

> A. D. Sharpe

If such a bastardized (?) Haiku on Linux kernel (Laiku?) were available for
download, I might well try it, if it could run from a USB stick or GPT
hard-drive partition.

There would be the feeling that if it were on a Linux kernel, I might prefer a
non-Haiku/BeOS interface.

Let's see what haoppens before passing judgement.

> So I've said "Linux or *BSD" numerous times. My current work is on top of
> Linux but I would be fine with a FreeBSD kernel as well (supporting both
> isn't impossible)

> Sia.

I pointed out that there is precedent for such a hybrid.

I believe Arch, Debian and Gentoo are porting their Linux userland and
framework to run on FreeBSD kernel but with no intention of dropping their
Linux-proper development.

I was never interested in that, figured I'd rather use FreeBSD userland and
ports on FreeBSD kernel, and a GNU/Linux framework on Linux kernel.

Linux and FreeBSD kernels offer USB 3.0 support.

Some, or should I say, many, Linux device drivers are better than their FreeBSD
counterparts.

One that sticks out with me is Ethernet on MSI Z77 MPOWER motherboard: FreeBSD
(OpenBSD and DragonFly too) recognize Realtek 8111E but fail to connect, but
good with Linux, NetBSD and Haiku R1Alpha4.

Tom