[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 20:59:08 +0200

On 18.08.2014 17:34, Sia Lang wrote:
I understand that some people find it fun to write everything from
scratch. I've done my share of hobbyist kernel work. But BeOS is dear to
many people, and I know a few people who is really fed up with Haiku
always being "almost there". I see a way to fix that.

By replacing the kernel and the app server? I don't think there are any larger missing features in either area that we consider blockers for R1. So, while in the long run it might be a good move to keep up with kernel level features and drivers, I don't see how it helps with the "almost there" situation. Our IMAP implementation will still be broken and our package management solution will still require a lot of work.

On 18.08.2014 18:07, Sia Lang wrote:
Whatever the reasons were back then, I've come far enough to reach this
important conclusion: No patch needs to be maintained, and you can
easily draw a "don't cross this line" at the kit->kernel/composer
transition layer (not without tricks, but they're completely
self-contained in a kernel module).

Out of curiosity, how do you implement stuff like opening directories by inode ID, typed attribute and query support in a self-contained kernel module? To me, they sound very much like they need direct support by the VFS and the FS implementations.

And while I can't think of a serious issue wrt. area support off the top of my head, the devil may be in the details.

Anyway, the proof is in the pudding, so let's go to work ;)

Good luck! Please do keep us posted.

CU, Ingo