[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6723@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 05:25:44 +0000

I like the idea of a Haiku built on Linux or FreeBSD kernel, but surely don't
want to scrap Haiku with its own kernel.

The two projects can live in peaceful coexistence.

I still would like to see Haiku with its own kernel rather than lose its
identity.

It will still be necessary/useful to port hardware device drivers from BSD and
Linux.  I'm thinking in particular about USB 3.0 and USB wi-fi.

I remember reading about a Linux dressed up to look like BeOS some years ago
but don't remember the name or details.

Hybrid OSes have precedent: I believe Debian, Arch and Gentoo are working on
Debian/Arch/Gentoo-style userland on top of FreeBSD kernel, though I never
tried any of those.

I can't see why FreeBSD should be considered unsuitable as a desktop OS.
Neither do the PC-BSD people.

I see Haiku is already being developed for ppc, m68k and arm, and I don't think
Haiku should ignore the trend toward mobile computing, not to ignore the
primary focus toward desktop (and laptop/notebook/) computers.

Tom