[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: Sia Lang <silverlanguage@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 17:34:51 +0200

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 5:19 PM, Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hm. It sounds like you are pragmatic. You "just" want your working BeOS
> clone. But I don't completely buy it. There must be a "fun" component for
> you as well. :-)

Thanks for your insightful post, Stephan.

I'll be the first to acknowledge that the "fun" part is mighty important.
And you know what... seeing useful results after only two months is
incredibly motivating.

I understand that some people find it fun to write everything from scratch.
I've done my share of hobbyist kernel work. But BeOS is dear to many
people, and I know a few people who is really fed up with Haiku always
being "almost there". I see a way to fix that.

Haiku still doesn't really work on 64-bit machines (who installs a 32-bit
OS these days?) and an ARM port is going to be pressing before you know it.
People have all kinds of weird devices, and a desktop OS must support them.

Basically, Haiku is going to play catch-up forever and that's just sad,
because it doesn't have to be that way.

>  If Haiku is close to release, I probably won't bother since it's still a
>> lot of work, but if another seven years is going to pass by, I'll
>> probably go ahead.
>>

> If that fun component is large enough, I would suggest you keep going. If
> you make a good job, you could actually use *a lot* of components from
> Haiku itself. Actually, almost everything except kernel, drivers, and stuff
> that uses private system calls, no? ;-)

I do indeed plan to use as much as I can from Haiku :)

Sia.