[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: Fredrik Holmqvist <fredrik.holmqvist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 23:18:55 +0200

> I am however asking the Haiku community to consider if the kernel choice
> made 14 years ago still makes sense. It's painful to leave a huge amount of
> work behind in the dust, but there's still so much Haiku work that would
> have a great life on top of a Linux or BSD based BeOS. With all the up-sides
> mentioned before (busses and drivers abound!)

At this point is probably much faster to just help fix things in Haiku
than starting from scratch no matter what kernel you pick :)

That said I think it makes even more sense to have our own kernel the
more I see of DBus, systemd and other changes done. Every desktop
environment seem to have its own power manager, sound mixer, keyboard
configuration and so on. It's layers upon layers and everything seems
to be interconnected. Without sorting that mess out and removing
services it won't be much more than a even heavier Linux distro.
Since so much logic is above the kernel itself I wonder how much is
gained more than trading one set of problems for another.
To get new drivers and features you will have to keep sync with the
kernel, and that's probably as hard as writing/porting drivers.

/Fredrik Holmqvist, TQH