[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: "A. D. Sharpe" <demetrioussharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 12:51:35 -0600

You know, I probably have no right to comment on this, but I'm sick of people trying to divert the development of other alternative operating systems & turn them into "yet another Unix clone", "yet another Linux distro", or "yet another vehicle for the Linux kernel". It's disgusting & very disrespectful of the specific OSes that're being referenced. BeOS, Haiku, AtheOS, Syllable, Pyro, etc. represent a different family of OS. They're not a Unix clone & that's perfectly alright. If you want to use the Linux kernel, perhaps you should use an actual Linux distro or start your own. Haiku isn't a Unix clone. It has it's own style, own kernel, & own community built around it. Stop trying to kill it's core & turn it into something that it's not.

On 8/22/2014 11:24 AM, Sia Lang wrote:
On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 7:12 PM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    What else do you expect? I have looked at many Linux drivers, and
    I have found a lot of examples. I will certainly won't go through
    all of them just to get some vague I-know-it-all-better-anyway
    reply from you.

        The vast majority of Linux drivers are very very good, and
        some of the

    So you read them all? Are you really expecting me to believe this?
    How else would you be able to make such a statement, anyway?
    Have you understand a word of what I said about your communication
    skills?

Not all, but enough to give a fair assessment. I've done kernel work in Linux since 1997 and five years in NetBSD. That gives me a pretty good idea about the driver situation.
And yet, you find yourself here, rather than sticking with Linux or *BSD. If you're going to be here, then be here. If not, then go back to Linux or *BSD.

But for all I know you're a genius who could improve all the Linux drivers over the weekend, to new heights. That said, I don't think this pissing contest matters - Linux has proven itself as a solid OS with working drivers, Haiku hasn't.
The Linux kernel was first released in 1991. It's now 2014. That's 23 years that Linux has had time to progress from conception until maturity. That's 23 years that Linux has had to improve itself year after year. Were you around when Linux was first released? Did you experience those early years? Did you experience those growing pains? I was around, I experienced them. That's part of the development cycle of EVERY SINGLE OPERATING SYSTEM IN EXISTENCE. Linux's device drivers weren't always as capable as they are now & the code is really horrid. For comparison, look at the *BSD drivers. I've had more pleasant experiences porting kernel level code from *BSD, than Linux. Haiku was started in 2001. That's 13 years that Haiku's been in development. Without a doubt, Haiku has only gotten better. When it's kernel & drivers have been around for 23 years, I'm sure that they'll be a lot better than they are now. Stop trying to kill the core of Haiku in an effort to turn it into a bastardized Linux distro. BeOS wasn't Linux; Haiku shouldn't be, either.

A. D. Sharpe