[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 19:12:37 +0200

On 22.08.2014 18:01, Sia Lang wrote:
On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 5:42 PM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
> BTW, if you want an example, please have a look at the Intel AGP bus
> driver to see how complex you can solve simple things to the point
> that it's very hard to understand what's going on.
You have to do better than pick a single driver (that particular one is
mostly just pci register read/writes anyway).

What else do you expect? I have looked at many Linux drivers, and I have found a lot of examples. I will certainly won't go through all of them just to get some vague I-know-it-all-better-anyway reply from you.

The vast majority of Linux drivers are very very good, and some of the

So you read them all? Are you really expecting me to believe this? How else would you be able to make such a statement, anyway?
Have you understand a word of what I said about your communication skills?

apparent complexity comes from stuff lacking in Haiku, such as proper
sleep/wake behavior, power management, firmware workarounds, black/white
listing of chipset variations ... the list goes on.
So while these mundane details admittedly uglyfi the code, in a real
kernel there's no way around it.

Please, you're not talking with someone that just took Programming 101 (I'm at least a year further than that). That's complexity you can't do anything about, but that's not what I'm talking about. The thing is how you deal with that complexity, and that particular driver does a bad job in that department (HDA would be another example).

> Don't get me wrong; it's probably the best open source kernel
> available, but that doesn't mean it's perfect, or doesn't have
> issues in areas I do care about.
Hmm, so what's the rational thing to do?

That entirely depends on your targets.
What was before Linux?
Would you have chosen DOS just because it was the best around?
You can't always go the way of least resistance if you want to improve on things.

Let time show I guess, but the point is this: if you've walked 450 miles
and the target is moving away from you at the same speed... you've not
walked very far, now have you?

That's not a point, that's just a wrong assessment.

and why I think Phipps believed we were "almost there" 7 years ago.

He also believed we'll be done in 3 years in 2001. That just means nothing :-)

P.S. There's a lot of amazing work done in Haiku, my points are about
the kernel/driver situation (and package manager, arrrgh)

The kernel is, at least in great parts, part of this, though.
The package manager is definitely, too, even if you obviously cannot see that.

Bye,
   Axel.