[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: Sia Lang <silverlanguage@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 21:42:09 +0200

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 8:58 PM, Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Your conclusion doesn’t follow. Of course I believe BeOS was a promising
> desktop. For me that is mainly due to its responsiveness which I constantly
> miss when using other OSes. However the fact that I prefer the BeOS
> experience to any other I’ve used does not mean there’s a hole in the
> market - there’s only a hole in the market if people feel like their needs
> are not being met by their current solutions.

Please do remind me of a popular and well-received open source desktop OS
not controlled by a corporation. It must have passed below my radar :)

> The choice of kernel is not a large part of that value equation IMHO.

Practically speaking, it is. People have widely varying hardware, all of
which need drivers. They also have 16 logical cores and 16GB ram which
needs to be utilized efficiently. And since just about everyone uses
laptops, we'd better do power management well. Let's not forget grandpa who
wants to send pictures from his USB3 thingie or by connecting his phone
using BT 4.1 or NFC.

For me it's pointless to worry about the ecosystem before the damn OS is
usable for Joe User and Grandpa Poppins.

I’m also really interested to see it running and to see your code. I
> absolutely am not aiming to discourage you from continuing your project. I
> hope if you’re successful that you can be satisfied with that, without
> requiring to hit a certain number of users for you to feel it was
> worthwhile.

My encouragement in projects mainly comes from people using my stuff for
real sh|t, so aiming that low isn't an option.

I don’t claim to have perfect foresight, so I’d also love to be proved
> wrong on all of this. I would dearly love an OS that matches BeOS for
> responsiveness but with a sufficiently large ecosystem to complete with
> Windows, OS X and Linux.

Right. I don't see the harm in trying even if the odds are low. Life is too
short to write a modern kernel with a gazillion drivers. An OS is not a
kernel. A kernel is not an OS.

Sia.

P.S. I asked about the possibility of a BoF session at BeGeistert, I'd like
to know if it's worth preparing something or not. Is the agenda set?