[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 21:38:42 +0200

Am 25.08.2014 13:09, schrieb Simon Taylor:
That’s why for me Haiku should just embrace its hobbyist status. It’s
come a hell of a long way for a
hobbyist OS, it has given plenty of people fun, interest, and experience
of working on all levels of an OS.
We do however need to accept that our ecosystem is too small for anyone
to invest time in creating
worthwhile apps.

Some Haiku developers were actually BeOS application developers. I didn't join Haiku until 2005, before I was developing WonderBrush and always thought Haiku will need apps and I am doing the project a favor by focusing on apps instead of helping it directly.

It's not like every Haiku kernel developer became a kernel developer out of necessity. But I can imagine that freeing up some resources could mean at least for some people that they could focus more on apps again. Especially with a potentially larger user base, with the lack of hardware support out of the equation.

And as far as the hobby aspect goes, facing the challenges to integrate another kernel smoothly could be fun in theory. However, that might be a crucial point: I guess if too many ugly compromises are needed, it could spoil the fun. We will see, hopefully.

Best regards,
-Stephan