[haiku-development] Re: ShowImage patch

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 14:47:14 -0500

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 2:07 PM, Christian Packmann
<Christian.Packmann@xxxxxx> wrote:
> I've looked at the ShowImage zoom routines, and a clean implementation of
> better zooming isn't as easy as it seemed at first glance. Not that hard,
> but I don't have the time for it right now. I'll look into this later, but
> probably only after I implemented a SSE2 version of the ScaleBilinear
> function, which is far too unrealtime for my taste.

I too found all the zooming code a bit complicated when I was working
on it, so I know what you mean. I didn't write the ScaleBilinear
function so don't know how much more it could be optimized, but if you
can improve it I think that would be great. By the way did you notice
that there is a deliberate pause before that function is run, to make
it quicker to move between multiple images? I mostly agree with this
choice, but at the same time the short delay before the image "clears
up" is sort of annoying when they are being slowly browsed or in a
slideshow.

> New behavior I would recommend:
> Shift+Cursor: move image

Sounds good, also would it be possible to change the cursor image to
some kind of "grabby hand" whenever this happens? I don't think it
does that now (VMWare is not working for me now so I can't check it.)

> Alt+Return: toggle fullscreen (learned behavior from some Windows programs -
> maybe other platforms, too?)

I definitely agree with this since that shortcut is part of my muscle memory.

>        Shortcuts
> I strongly recommend changing the Rotate shortcuts; on German keyboards
> Alt+[ and Alt+] are unselectable (unless I'm doing something wrong here or
> it's VMWare). This also goes for Alt+{, Alt+} and Alt+\; all these keys are
> accessed with the right Alt key, but this prevents selection with the left
> Alt key. This information should go into a UI style guide, I think.
> Anyway, my proposal:
> Alt r: rotate clockwise
> Alt Shift r: rotate counter-cw

I think these changes are fine.

> (If there's disagreement about the proper direction for plain rotation with
> "Alt r", please just the votes - I'll count 'em & the majority has it.)

I was thinking about it and clockwise makes the most sense because
most people are right handed and would probably turn their cameras
with the top toward the right when taking pictures vertically. Those
pictures would then be tilted toward the left and would therefore need
a clockwise rotation to be in the right direction again. If all that
makes sense. Though I asked my girlfriend and she does it the other
way ;)

So maybe a vote is in order.

>        Mouse
> LMB, MMB, RMB: unchanged
> Wheel: zoom image; wheel up zooms in, down zooms out
> +Shift: scroll vertical
> +Alt or Ctrl: scroll horizontal

Sounds good to me. Thanks for all this, I agree with Humdinger that
the built-in Haiku applications need to be the "living HIG."

Also as another maintainer of ShowImage I would appreciate any
improvements in the code too.

Regards,
Ryan