[haiku-development] Re: ShowImage patch

  • From: Christian Packmann <Christian.Packmann@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 20:01:02 +0100

- Cursor keys for file navigation:
They are already used for moving the image, and I'd like to keep this behavior, otherwise keyboard usability would be greatly reduced. When working on laptops, I am glad about every keyboard control I have.

But maybe use the numeric keypad? The keys aren't needed for input, so one could use them. OTOH this also break usability on laptops, as using keypad keys is very cumbersome.

- Broken shortcuts <Alt>-[, <Alt>-]
Yes, that should be changed. This can't work on e.g. German keyboards, obviously. If using keypad navigation, * and / would be obvious. + and - are alredy used for zooming. Otherwise different shortcuts should be defined. Maybe <Alt>+R for rotating clockwise, <Alt>+<Shift>+R for counterclockwise.

- zoom behavior
I'll try to implement both zoom options, zoom-to-center will be needed anyway when the keyboard is used for zooming. This is turning into more work than I anticipated. ;-)

- mousewheel zoom direction:
I'm also in the forward->zoom into image. My finger moves towards the image, reducing the distance. This seems a pretty universal standard used by Acrobat Reader, Microsoft Office, OpenOffice, GIMP, XnView, Internet Explorer, etc. etc. Only exceptions I can think of are Fraqtive and Opera. Apart from my personal preference, I don't think it's good to go against the standard here; intuitive behavior[1] only becomes intuitive by training, and most people who use computers have been trained for this specific behavior.

Christian

[1] As used in the context of computers. Nothing about handling computers is really intuitive, ever. Except kicking them when they're nasty.