[haiku-development] Re: RFC: B_INVALID flag for BControlLook

  • From: pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 08:57:50 +0200

On Thu, Oct 02, 2014 at 08:46:58AM +0200, Axel Dörfler wrote:
> Am 01.10.2014 21:06, schrieb Ingo Weinhold:
> >On 10/01/2014 08:22 PM, John Scipione wrote:

> >>I've never seen a spinbox implemented that way, up/down is more clear
> >>than right/left even though the click targets are smaller.
>
> Not that I'm sold on <> (there just aren't any ASCII characters for up/down)
> but do you honestly believe someone who grasps up/down would not grasp the
> other solution (and vice versa)?

I think "-" and "+" as currently used in the Screen preflet is fine.
A little example, let's say you have spinners for the X and Y
coordinates of an object. For X, the "up" button would move right, and
the "down" button would move left. For Y, the "up" button would move...
down! "-" and "+" more reliably map to "decrease" and "increase" and
should not have such problems.

I think the only reason other systems use arrows is the buttons are too
small to have any other useful label, and an arrow can be made to fit in
a 2 pixel high and 3 pixels wide space.

--
Adrien.