[haiku-development] Re: RFC: B_INVALID flag for BControlLook

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2014 10:23:32 +0200

Am 02.10.2014 08:57, schrieb pulkomandy:
I think "-" and "+" as currently used in the Screen preflet is fine.
A little example, let's say you have spinners for the X and Y
coordinates of an object. For X, the "up" button would move right, and
the "down" button would move left. For Y, the "up" button would move...
down! "-" and "+" more reliably map to "decrease" and "increase" and
should not have such problems.

I think the only reason other systems use arrows is the buttons are too
small to have any other useful label, and an arrow can be made to fit in
a 2 pixel high and 3 pixels wide space.

I am completely convinced by this! Let's use - and +. If you are not sold yet, I have another example, why even up and down are a bit confusing: When you think about the sequence of numbers in "space" and think of the arrows as navigating within that space, it could be interpreted wrongly: Writing down a sequence of numbers...

40
41
42
43
44

... you can see how the up and down arrows would have reversed meaning when thinking about it this way.

And lastly, aren't there bottom to top languages, too? Chinese?

Best regards,
-Stephan