[haiku-development] Re: RFC: B_INVALID flag for BControlLook

  • From: Ralf Schülke <ralf.schuelke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 19:08:07 +0200

Am 01.10.2014 17:23 schrieb "Richie Nyhus" <richienyhus@xxxxxxxxx>:

> I have never liked those 90s style spinners with the micro buttons that
seem to cause you to click the button opposite of the one that you want.
I'm quite happy for that old style spinner to remain part of libsanta (or
was it libwalter?) and not be part of Haiku.

The most of new Design are from the 60s and 70s, so Apple improve this from
the old days. Design are not so easy and design vor BeOS -> Haiku are not
so simple, because new design can breake the spirit and some workcase.

But you need a new widget, so in Haiku you can used from parent and make a
new, thats the power of object orientet design.

> > This leaves open the problem of picking a year. There are no bounds on
> > the choices you can make there, so a popup menu isn't suitable. This is
> > why I went with a BTextControl with input validation. I can also add
> > mouse wheel increase/decrease support (or keyboard up/down), making this
> > behave very similar to a spinner, but without the useless buttons. Or
> > bigger buttons could be used, as is done in the Screen preferences
> > workspace count adjust (note that this one does allow entering
> > non-digits in the field, currently, and should also be fixed).
>
> I meant modern spinners like the left-right one that you mention is found
in Screen Preferences or the bottom two in this image:
> http://benknowscode.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/jquery-ui-spinners.png

Thats is not fine.

> When I mentioned optional spinners, I meant the text field would remain
as it is normally, but would create a pop up time (or date) picker if a
button on the right hand of the field is pushed. Much like these two images
(only more  harmonious to Haiku's style):

http://www.jqueryscript.net/images/Super-Tiny-jQuery-HTML5-Date-Picker-Plugin.jpg

> > The choice of using a spinner is orthogonal to the issue anyway. We
> > still need to decide wether we want to allow the control to accept
> > non-digit values, but mark them as invalid, or if we want to deny
> > keyboard input and emit a beep (which may be missed for reasons Stephan
> > already mentionned).
>
> I would suggest using something along the lines of "input required"
(which is somewhat similar to what you described before). You could use a
yellow frame for input required and a red frame for input type not allowed.
Other colours (from Haiku such as Orange; Green and Blue) could be used for
other features if so desired.

> Here is an image showing input required from Firefox; Chrome and Opera:
> http://john.foliot.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/input-required.jpg

All in All need a new and better design (or widget tranzformation) more
work at post in a ML, i see over the years ugly mockups.

I am happy with the minimalismen of Haiku and we see other OS goes back
from the widget hyper overflow, he cals flat design or material design.

> Cheers,
> Richard.

stargater