[haiku-development] Re: R1/A3 -- Third Time's the Charm(?)

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 12:40:08 -0500

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 6:27 AM, Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Can you recommend a free Chinese font which could be included in Haiku? The
> fallback font work could be extended to take the character range into
> account and hard-code different fonts for different ranges (at least for the
> time being).

Obviously I'm not Chinese but I wondered if the Droid fonts supported
more Chinese characters and it seems like it does:

"Support for CJK is provided by the Droid Sans "fallback" font. This
font contains over 43,000 glyphs and includes support for Simplified
Chinese (GB2312), Traditional Chinese (Big 5), Japanese (JIS 0208) and
Korean (KSC 5601). This font uses the Simplified Chinese ideographs
for shared Unicode code points."

http://www.droidfonts.com/droidfonts/

I've thought for a while we should probably add the Droid fonts to
Haiku and this may be another good reason why. I also think my
Microsoft Fonts Installer (http://www.bebits.com/app/4331) could be
made part of the Haiku install as well. It just extracts the fonts
from cab files as per the Microsoft license. But I don't think that
addresses the Chinese character problem, just provides more font
options.

--
Regards,
Ryan