[haiku-development] Re: R1/A3 -- Third Time's the Charm(?)

  • From: Alexander von Gluck <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 10:24:14 -0600

On Sun, 2011-01-23 at 10:57 -0500, Matt Madia wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> Since entering the Beta stage is not in the near future and a possible
> Google Summer of Code 2011 is approaching, could we release another
> alpha?
>
> The last R1/A3 thread was back in Nov. [1]
>
> Summing up that thread, here are the components that may raise concern today:
>  * Locale Kit / ReadOnlyBootPrompt
>  * print_server crashing on shutdown (status?)
>  * CD read errors while installing (was mentioned on [haiku]) [2]

I think releasing another alpha is a great idea. We have seen increasing
number of people trying out the R1A2 and complaining on things already
fixed in the nightly builds.

I do have one small enhancement to throw in the pot though...
  * checkfs can only be run on mounted file systems and likes to KDL on
corrupt file systems.

As more and more people are starting to store data in Haiku, we need to
make sure there is a chance can be recovered if there is a (unlikely)
file system problem.

Other then that, I personally think an Alpha 3 is a great idea.

-- Alex