[haiku-development] Re: R1/A3 -- Third Time's the Charm(?)

  • From: pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 18:09:55 +0100

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 08:47:02 -0800, scottmc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 7:57 AM, Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>

>> Since entering the Beta stage is not in the near future and a possible
>> Google Summer of Code 2011 is approaching, could we release another
>> alpha?
>>

> We have a window here between now and when GSoC is to start, so we
> need to move on this soon.  I propose we set a feature deadline of say
> Feb 28, and then a bug fix deadline of a week or two after that.
> Perhaps with the goal of having the Alpha3 by March 14th-21st.
> If you are working on something that you really feel needs to be in
> alpha 3 then you have 4 weeks to get it in.  If there's no urgent
> needs to have new features added in before then, perhaps we can pull
> these dates in even closer.  There's been a ton of changes since
> Alpha2 and we need to get a fresher stable release out there.

I still think planning releases just a month before isn't a good idea.
GSoC only starts in may for students as far as I know, so time pressure
isn't that extreme (yet). Planning releases this way brings the risk of
staying alpha forever. FWIW I'm currently finishing school, and have very
little time to spend on Haiku. Waiting until april would allow me to get
some stuff done. My TODO list isn't that full, but according to trac
roadmap, R1a3 is only 28% done. any ticket listed there and not solved in
time for R1a3 create the need for an alpha 4, and so on. Then, we'll never
reach beta stage...

--
Adrien.