[haiku-development] Re: Keymaps application UI

  • From: "Remi Grumeau" <remi.grumeau@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 17:20:49 +0200

> Someone coming from a Windows/etc. background might misinterpret the
> distinction between System and User as referring to a multi-user context,
> where System determines the keyboard layout for the login screen etc. and
> User the one used for the current user after login.

Actually, i must confess that i still didn't caught the idea of those
two lists, since i never used the second one, and didn't understand
its meaning. In this case, i'm totally ok for the single popup menu.
Ok also for switching the menu on top of the keyboard.

But is someone could clarify me the goal of the second menu ? All
keymaps are in fact included with the system so why giving the
(confusing to me) possibility to create a user one ?

> Plus the artwork is a little stale.

Only modifications on a Haiku screenshot... what would be your idea behind ?

> PS: Sorry Remi for being a bit rude in my reply the other day, that was a bit
> excessive :)
Can-t remember ... so well, no prob :-)

About adding features to it, or to the system, did a switching keymaps
anywhere in the system by a shortcurt has already been discussed ? For
example, my laptop is from Korea, so the keyboard is US+KR. Since
french is my native language, i do sometimes need accentuations (é, à,
...). Under Windows, i setup Ctrl+Shift+Alt+1 for US Keymap, +2 for
FR, so i easilyt switch between the two keymps when needed. Under
BeOS, copy paste is my only friend... but i think this is more a
system feature than a Keymaps App feature.