[haiku-development] Re: Keymaps application UI

  • From: "Jorge Mare" <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 11:24:44 -0700

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 10:47 AM, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> "Andreas Färber" <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> Am 24.08.2008 um 01:18 schrieb Stephan Assmus:
>>
>> > I don't know what the purpose of the second listview is. Wouldn't it
>> > be much better to have a single list view that also lists user saved
>> > custom keymaps at the end of the list, behind a separator line
>> > perhaps? Then the list view would be more than twice the height.
>>
>> Someone coming from a Windows/etc. background might misinterpret the
>> distinction between System and User as referring to a multi-user
>> context, where System determines the keyboard layout for the login
>> screen etc. and User the one used for the current user after login.
>>
>> So it might make sense to keep two lists in some form, but for the
>> current use of only having "(Current)" and user-saved maps under User
>> I agree that we could merge them into the User list.
>
> I didn't mean to put the words "System" and "User" in there somewhere. I just
> wanted one list with the names of the system provided keymaps. There is no
> item "Current" or "User", but one of the keymaps is simply highlighted. If
> the user saved a custom keymap, then there would be a separator line at the
> bottom of the list and his personal keymap there with name that he gave to
> it. It probably has a default name of "Custom" or even "User" perhaps when
> the user is asked to save it or it is saved automatically when he changes the
> current keymap. Best would be if it would be "German - Modified" by default
> for example if the user first selected German and then changed some keys.
> Best not to even ask to save it but just do it.

I have been playing with the Haiku keymap applet a bit, and the more I
(try to) use it, the more I become inclined to think that it is
(unnecessarily?) confusing. This was probably compounded by the fact
that the drag-and-drop keymap customization does not seem to work (not
implemented yet? do we need a bug report?), but still, I think this
could be a lot simpler.

I think the problem with this applet is rooted in that it attempts to
use a single interface to perform two different functions: selecting a
keymap and creating custom (user-defined) keymaps.

Since Haiku strives to be simple, it may just be better to break this
two functions into separate interfaces, maybe by using tabs: one to
select the desired keymap and the other to create/manage custom
(user-defined) keymaps.

FWIW.

Jorge