[haiku-development] Re: Keymaps application UI

  • From: Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 11:40:28 +0200

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 20:20:17 +0200
Von: "Andreas Färber" <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
An: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: [haiku-development] Re: Keymaps application UI

Am 24.08.2008 um 19:47 schrieb Stephan Assmus:

"Andreas Färber" <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx> wrote:
Am 24.08.2008 um 01:18 schrieb Stephan Assmus:

I don't know what the purpose of the second listview is. Wouldn't it be much better to have a single list view that also lists user saved
custom keymaps at the end of the list, behind a separator line
perhaps? Then the list view would be more than twice the height.

Someone coming from a Windows/etc. background might misinterpret the
distinction between System and User as referring to a multi-user
context, where System determines the keyboard layout for the login
screen etc. and User the one used for the current user after login.

So it might make sense to keep two lists in some form, but for the
current use of only having "(Current)" and user-saved maps under User
I agree that we could merge them into the User list.

I didn't mean to put the words "System" and "User" in there
somewhere. I just wanted one list with the names of the system
provided keymaps. There is no item "Current" or "User", but one of
the keymaps is simply highlighted. If the user saved a custom
keymap, then there would be a separator line at the bottom of the
list and his personal keymap there with name that he gave to it. It
probably has a default name of "Custom" or even "User" perhaps when
the user is asked to save it or it is saved automatically when he
changes the current keymap. Best would be if it would be "German -
Modified" by default for example if the user first selected German
and then changed some keys. Best not to even ask to save it but just
do it.

But currently we do have them. :)

Even though you might have not meant it, I am still raising the issue
that we will have to deal with a multi-user scenario at some point. We
will then either need two lists again, or one list and a dropdown
list, or one list and a button or menu item.

I don't understand why. What I described works regardless of multi- user. Each user would then simply get his own list of custom keymaps that he created, if he ever changed any of the system keymaps. I mean the Keymap preflet would show a different set of custom keymaps depending on which user opens it. Or do you want users to see each other's keymaps?

No, I'm saying we need a way to *set* the system (default) keymap, i.e. the one used for the login screen. Like I said, this is different from the user's keymap, which we can currently set, whether we like the layout or not. It's not about modifying keymaps, it's about applying them.

This doesn't need to be implemented now before the Alpha but we should keep this as a TODO in mind when changing things in there. We could of course also opt to duplicate the functionality onto the login screen directly, but some way or the other we'll need some way to persistently change the system default keymap independent from that of the users.

Andreas