[haiku-development] Re: Keymaps application UI

"Remi Grumeau" <remi.grumeau@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://remi.grumeau.free.fr/haiku/keymap_2.png

I´ve never been quite at ease with how R5 presents
the keymaps. I hope this is already different in Haiku.

The cardinal error IMO is that the preferences does
not show the -name- of the keymap currently in use.

I understand that there may be some value in the
distinction between keymaps provided by the system
and keymaps provided by the user, but this division
is probably not obvious (or meaningful) to a person
who is not aware of the system/user division at the
filesystem level. In this case:
/boot/beos/etc/Keymap/
~/config/settings/Keymap/

Most people are going to have a keymap which was
provided with the system, yet User / (Current) will
always show as the selected one, after having pressed
[use], and when opening the preferences again. This
communicates very little (current == what keymap??)
and flaws the system/user distinction since in reality
a _system-provided_ keymap is the one currently in use.
(in my case, and in most cases)

Plus the artwork is a little stale.

Anyway, enough of my ranting.

/Jonas.