[haiku-development] Re: Keymaps and Command key

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:02:31 -0700

2008/8/20 Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I would be all for keeping the current default; at least it feels like
> I need much less finger acrobatics to use it in comparison to Control.
> I would just add a paragraph to the welcome "first start" document that
> explains the issue, and how one can change it.

I definitely agree - a "first start" welcome document, or "quick start
guide" would be a good place to give a few pointers for those who
haven't used BeOS or Haiku before.

Could be considered part of the "Welcome Pack" task for the alpha?

I guess I'll contribute my two cents to the discussion: I'm a
long-time windows user now, that was originally a Mac OS 6/7 user when
younger. Switching back and forth with keystrokes quickly has become
an automated thing for me, based on what I see on the screen. As a
person who uses a KVM to switch back and forth between machines with
different OSes often, this is probably something I have learned to
deal with and is no longer an issue for me. I like that Haiku has
chosen the ALT key instead of the CTRL key.

I agree with Rene that using the left thumb for ALT shortcuts is a lot
nicer ergonomically than moving the pinky to CTRL. It even allows
easier use of ALT-A to select all in a window.

- Urias