[haiku-development] Re: Keymaps and Command key

  • From: "Ari Haviv" <arielbhaviv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 01:53:45 -0400

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 12:57 AM, Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 11:05 PM, Ari Haviv <arielbhaviv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Another point: BeOS was intended to coexist with Windows, not replace
>> it. "Use BeOS for media and windows for everything else."  If you have
>> to dual boot most of the time (or use wine) then alt c here and
>> control c there would be a major inconsistency.
>
> But not everybody is in that situation nor cares. We have the option
> to flip it to control if you desire it anyways. If everything we do
> has to be done so as to appease everybody coming from other systems
> then we may as well give up now.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rene

We should have something like this in the FAQ:
Why don't keyboard shortcuts, such as Control-C for copy, work?
Answer: Haiku uses the Alt key (such as alt-c to copy) instead of
control by default in order to be consistent with the terminal, which
uses the control key for other functions.
Here is a list of common Haiku keyboard shortcuts: Alt+C Copy, etc
Here is a list of terminal control sequences:
http://dshowgirl.highend3d.com/2008/01/09/linux-terminal-control-sequences/