[haiku-development] Re: AltGr Key, key_map, and the US-International Keyboard

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 20:03:26 +0200

John Scipione wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Adrien Destugues
> <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Le Thu, 05 Apr 2012 19:30:42 +0200, John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx> a
> > écrit:
> >
> >> AltGr seems determined not to fit into that model. So I am
> >> perplexed as to how to accomplish all this currently.
> >
> > Yes, we all know it's a bad thing and it shouldn't exist, but our French,
> > Spanish, Lithuanian and German keyboard are so made. People not happy with
> > that just go for a different layout like US-International.
> > I don't think Haiku is there to change how this works :)
>
> Let's say that there was an option for an AltGr key separate from any
> other key that exists now and you were to map AltGr to where right Alt
> is now. You'd lose right Command, right? And option basically does
> what AltGr does now, so, you'd effectively have option twice in a row
> and no right command. That doesn't seem right. So you assign right
> option to be right command. And then you are back to where we are now.

I think in reality you'd switch the Command key to Windows/Linux mode and
things would work like in those two OSs. There's nothing wrong with offering an
alternative Haiku keymap that has better thought-out mappings (it can even be
the default), but I think there should be a simple way to make the keyboard
work just like in the other OSs people are using.

CU, Ingo