[haiku-development] Re: AltGr Key, key_map, and the US-International Keyboard

  • From: Rimas Kudelis <rq@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 21:23:45 +0300

Hi,
2012.04.05 21:03, Ingo Weinhold rašė:
John Scipione wrote:
On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Adrien Destugues
<pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Le Thu, 05 Apr 2012 19:30:42 +0200, John Scipione<jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>  a
écrit:

AltGr seems determined not to fit into that model. So I am
perplexed as to how to accomplish all this currently.
Yes, we all know it's a bad thing and it shouldn't exist, but our French,
Spanish, Lithuanian and German keyboard are so made. People not happy with
that just go for a different layout like US-International.
I don't think Haiku is there to change how this works :)
Let's say that there was an option for an AltGr key separate from any
other key that exists now and you were to map AltGr to where right Alt
is now. You'd lose right Command, right? And option basically does
what AltGr does now, so, you'd effectively have option twice in a row
and no right command. That doesn't seem right. So you assign right
option to be right command. And then you are back to where we are now.
I think in reality you'd switch the Command key to Windows/Linux mode and
things would work like in those two OSs. There's nothing wrong with offering an
alternative Haiku keymap that has better thought-out mappings (it can even be
the default), but I think there should be a simple way to make the keyboard
work just like in the other OSs people are using.

I never really understood why Windows/Linux mode does't really work like at least I would expect it to. May I suggest it to be updated as follows:
key –> function
Control –> Command
Win -> Control
Alt(Gr) -> Option