[haiku-development] Re: AW: Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 23:43:47 -0700

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 11:14:55PM -0700, James Leone wrote:
> So for me, its not impossible to do without a /usr directory (or an arm),
> but with a larger workload, less gets done. Less apps, less people. Less
> people, less apps, more bozos like me trying to compile.

Just FYI, if you want a /usr directory *for your own use*, there is
nothing to stop you setting it up.  I did this long ago in BeOS because
X11 and other things *did* need that available.  Never needed it in
Haiku, though.

At its most basic, just create, say, ~/usr, and edit
~/config/settings/boot/UserBootScript to add the line:

  ln -s ~/usr /usr

Then the link will be created to point to your usr folder every time
you boot, and you can put whatever you like in there.

Just don't expect anybody else to do it, though (:-/)

        -- Pete --