[haiku-development] AW: Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 09:18:41 +0200

Ryan wrote:
> I think if there is to be any hope, there needs to be some serious focus. No
> more going off on wild tangents like the package management.
> An amazing amount of work (and quite a bit of money) went into that and if
> we are really honest it probably was not as important as it was made out to
> be. I completely understand the desire to make it, but if a project manager
> was trying to ship a product to make money, would they have worked on
> that or maybe put it off for later?

We actually discussed this beforehand, you know. We even had a poll about it,
and the outcome was clear. That's why it was put into the release. And it's
definitely something people come to expect from modern operating systems,
anyway. I know I do.

> Haiku needs a project manager but that isn't a fun job and tends to cost quite
> a bit if we wanted to hire someone.

As you already noticed, this is an open source project, and it just doesn't and
cannot work this way. Either the developers are focused, or they aren't. Other
than pleading them to focus (or pay them to work on something in particular),
there is nothing one can do. We do have a pretty good plan of what there is
left to do, anyway.

> Maybe Sia and his project is the shot in the arm this project needs to become
> reality and not perpetual alpha.

As you already noticed, writing a complete operating system is a tough job.
There is a reason that Haiku is still in alpha, and we're constantly working
towards the goal of reaching R1 with the feature set we've already established
years ago. While it all takes longer than wanted, and originally anticipated,
I'm confident that we'll reach that goal eventually. I for one will be able to
put some regular hours into Haiku starting with the end of the year -- and I'm
really looking forward to it.

Bye,
   Axel.