[haiku-development] Re: AW: Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: Augustin Cavalier <waddlesplash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 10:31:45 -0400

> What haiku needs is to gradually get all the applications that are needed
> for day to day work. Once it has a stable, modern web browser (almost
> there), office, some media etc apps it will start getting used a lot more.
> The web browser has been the biggest issue for a lot of people for a long
> time.

+1. I'm in the process of writing an IDE ATM. We'll get there :)

> I actually chose my last two laptops largely because I wanted them to work
> well with haiku, and then invested a fairly large amount of time porting
> software so that I could do most of my day-to-day work in haiku, and I
> don't think I'm alone.

And you aren't. I have an (albeit long) TODO list of what I need on Haiku
before I install it on my main dev machine (it already boots there) and
most of the stuff has nothing to do with the kernel -- the only two things
that do are modesetting and the PAE KDLs getting fixed, the other 20-30
items are userland stuff.

-Augustin