[haiku-development] Re: AW: Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: "Andrew Hudson" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "hudsonco1@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 17:43:10 -0400 (EDT)

When the package manager was first proposed I was not in favor. After some
discussion it was patiently
explained to me that the package manager would alleviate the rat's nest of
out-of-sync libraries, incompatible
library versions for different apps that use the same library but different
versions. It was also explained
that the package manager could be used to manage all the complexities that come
with Haiku32 & Haiku64.
The package manager keeps Haiku from away from 'DLL Hell' that plagued early
Windows and Linux.
Those are some of the reasons for putting resources into the package manager.

Yes, the package manager was
discussed and voted on. And yes, it does provide an immense value to Haiku as
an overall feature.
What wasn't known or discussed at the time of that decision was how long the
next release would take,
and what the value of an earlier release was to the general Haiku community.

But now people are speaking up and expressing a desire for the certainly that
comes with a major release.
Perhaps the answer here is to again look at what is required for the next
release and describe what it will
require and what it will provide. So for instance let's look at the major
blocking tickets, who is assigned to
them, what the rough estimate to complete is. Etc.

Thanks,
Andrew

Ryan wrote:
> I think if there is to be any hope, there needs to be some serious focus. No
> more going off on wild tangents like the package management.
> An amazing amount of work (and quite a bit of money) went into that and if
> we are really honest it probably was not as important as it was made out to
> be. I completely understand the desire to make it, but if a project manager
> was trying to ship a product to make money, would they have worked on
> that or maybe put it off for later?

Axel wrote:
We actually discussed this beforehand, you know. We even had a poll about it,
and the outcome was clear. That's why it was put into the release. And it's
definitely something people come to expect from modern operating systems,
anyway. I know I do.