[haiku-development] Re: AW: Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: Fredrik Modéen <fredrik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 08:40:43 +0200

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 05:43:10PM -0400, Andrew Hudson wrote:

When the package manager was first proposed I was not in favor. After some discussion it was patiently explained to me that the package manager would alleviate the rat's nest of out-of-sync libraries, incompatible library versions for different apps that use the same library but different versions. It was also explained that the package manager could be used to manage all the complexities that come with Haiku32 & Haiku64. The package manager keeps Haiku from away from 'DLL Hell' that plagued early Windows and Linux. Those are some of the reasons for putting resources into the package manager.

Yes, the package manager was
discussed and voted on. And yes, it does provide an immense value to Haiku as an overall feature.

As I said, I have no memory of this poll.  [Undoubtedly me...!] Can
someone provide a link to the archive
or at least an approximate date, so I can look back at it?  Thanks.

Thinkt it's this one. It's not the poll but the results.
https://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/FutureHaiku/Features

But now people are speaking up and expressing a desire for the certainly that comes with a major release. Perhaps the answer here is to again look at what is required for the next release and describe what it will require and what it will provide. So for instance let's look at the major blocking tickets, who is assigned to
them, what the rough estimate to complete is. Etc.

Just FTR, I think I should say how *I* feel it should have been
done[|be done].  (I think there's still time
for  a partial reversion.)  There was too much upheaval all at once.

  The system hierarchy should be just as it is now.  Anything that
goes there obeys the hpkg conventions.

  /boot/common should be restored as it was.  For two reasons:

        It provides a home for stuff that is not (yet) packaged.

        I don't think that *everything* should be stuffed into either
/boot/system or ~/config.
        The various stuff that a user downloads for their particular needs
shouldn't have to clutter up
        the system directories.  At the same time ~/config isn't really the
place for apps that all users
        need access to.  Currently of course that's irrelevant, but we're
always talking about future
        multiuser, right?
  Restore ~/config to read/write, also.  The current situation breaks
more than it fixes IMO.  Virtually
  everything I've downloaded for BeOS/Haiku over the years hasn't
needed anything more than an
  unzip to some convenient slot.  Anything that does require an
'Install' has now been broken.

  If we want a packaged hierarchy in ~, then add it in parallel to
config -- "~/packaged" or something.

To my mind, an arrangement like that would retain the best of the new
and provide maximum
compatibility with the old.

I also are in the process of making a package. Must say it's rather neet. You can as fist step run things as before but in other location. You place the files under home\config\non-packaged in the same location as before. I you make a pckage and want to test it you put it in home\config\packaged.

This would be another neet function for PackageManagement
(https://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/PackageManagement/TODO)
•Add system update support.

//Fredrik