[haiku-development] Re: What's the status of Haiku?

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 00:38:54 -0400

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 10:29 PM, Augustin Cavalier
<waddlesplash@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Aug 28, 2014 7:24 PM, "David Ferguson" <dfergatl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I was referring to WebPositve.  I just have a lot of crashes with it.
>
> I haven't had Web+ crash in months for me. Perhaps you should try again?

While that may be true it is also a bit of nitpicking. People are
expressing valid concerns about Haiku.

I'll take responsibility for claiming R1 would be released in 2013 or
whatever I said in that IEEE Spectrum article. I was being
stupid/optimistic/unrealistic or whatever one wants to think.

Writing a complete OS from scratch is really hard. It takes a whole
lot of man hours and a whole lot of money, neither of which Haiku
seems to have these days (though I think we all appreciate the
donations the project receives.)

I've been involved with the project a long time and have always
managed to maintain some belief in it. Even when I didn't spend any
time working on it (which has been most of the time probably), I have
still kept belief in it. But I have to be honest: my belief has been
starting to wane.

I'm an engineer and it is my nature to solve problems but this one is
really hard. Even if we all believe in the concept of Haiku, it won't
matter at all if no one actually has the time, skill or motivation to
work on it and make it a reality.

I think if there is to be any hope, there needs to be some serious
focus. No more going off on wild tangents like the package management.
An amazing amount of work (and quite a bit of money) went into that
and if we are really honest it probably was not as important as it was
made out to be. I completely understand the desire to make it, but if
a project manager was trying to ship a product to make money, would
they have worked on that or maybe put it off for later?

Haiku needs a project manager but that isn't a fun job and tends to
cost quite a bit if we wanted to hire someone. Plus just the concept
of that will anger some people because this is an open source project
and should be fun. But at the same time we are trying to make a real
product and not a toy, and that takes focus, which I do not think we
currently have.

Maybe Sia and his project is the shot in the arm this project needs to
become reality and not perpetual alpha.

--
Regards,
Ryan