[openbeos-cdt] Re: Some experiments

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 18:26:37 -0500

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 5:45 PM, Eddy Groen <eddyspeeder@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> @Johan: the yellow color of the tab becomes a little faded in 2c. Was that
> intentional or unintentional?

Are you sure? I think it is just a trick of the eye because of the
darker gradient on the window background. It looks like the same color
to my eye.

> To elaborate on Alex' point; I thought that Johan's darker tab (inverted)
> actually worked real well as inactive tab of a multitab window. Would that
> be a proper solution or would that create just too many tab shades (active,
> inactive, inactive-dark)?

It is worth experimenting with. I would like us to come to a good
solution through these discussions if possible as it is easier to talk
about it and play around with image editors than to change the code as
an experiment. In that direction, here is a mock-up of the darker
inactive tab on the stack:

http://ryanleavengood.com/haiku/dark_inactive_tab_stack.png

> @Ryan: thanks for showing the crispness with the outer line. One thing I did
> notice is that the inactive tab seems to have lost the dark line underneath
> it in your mockup. Is there a certain reason for that?

Maybe you are reading these emails too fast? :)

My point two of the email I sent before was explaining that I did that
to show that the windows were connected as a stack. And Alex indicated
he didn't like it too much. Another idea I just tried is extending the
one pixel line that links the yellow tab to the window across to the
inactive tab in the stack. I don't think it looks great, but
nonetheless:

http://ryanleavengood.com/haiku/yellow_line_link.png

> P.S.: A general note to all the mockup makers: great work guys, my
> compliments for the effort you put in. The coming weeks I won't have the
> time to do proper mockups myself (running an experiment) but I'll be reading
> along.

Hmmm, you can't say you are running an experiment without giving details! :)

Unless it is totally unrelated to this discussion. But I can't help
but feel it might be related (like using Haiku as your only OS for a
week or something.)

--
Regards,
Ryan