[openbeos-cdt] Re: Some experiments

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 16:06:23 -0500

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Alex Suraci <i.am@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Here's an ever-so-slight tweak:
> http://toogeneric.com/files/arrows-moved.png
> All I did was move the arrows over ~2px and down ~1px, but teeny tiny
> things like that make a huge difference; the UI looks much less hectic
> to me now.
> So, perhaps it was less of a padding issue and more of an alignment glitch.

I think so too. I must admit this latest version of the menu looks pretty good.

To join the frenzy of mock-ups I've taken Alex's mock-up and tweaked
it for two things:

1. I made the outer line on the active window stack border a bit
darker (and lightened the background to make this change more
obvious.) This color is from the original mock-up on this thread:

I know Humdinger has talked about liking this mock-up but one thing no
one seemed to mention is the darker border color on the outside. I
think that color (which isn't quite gray, more of a brown) makes the
windows look a bit crisper. I've only applied it to the active window
though, where the mock-up above had it on all windows. I think a
similar shade of gray would be fine too.

The above mock-up also used a 3 pixel border instead of a 4 pixel one.
Though it obviously leaves one less pixel for grabbing to move the
window by border, it might be a nice compromise between the current
Haiku 4 pixel border and the 1 pixel border some people want.

2. I tweaked the drawing around the first tab of the window stack to
make it more obvious that the windows are stacked together. I think if
we are going to make stack and tile a part of Haiku it needs to be
made more clear when windows are stacked together. I don't know if
Johan was actually using stack and tile for his original screenshot,
but it looks like it so I'm taking advantage. Keep in mind this is
sort of like what the browser "tabs" will look like if I use stacking
for it. Probably with the addition of a favicon if the other
developers let me add support for that :)

Anyhow, here is my mock-up: