[openbeos-cdt] Re: Some experiments

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 16:49:17 +0100

-- Matt Madia, on Wed, 11 Nov 2009 00:00:12 +0000:
> >> Painted active window border yellow to make it stand out from the
> >> background.
> >
> > OTOH, colouring the active window's border has the advantage that
> > you
> > immediately see which window is active, regardless if it's tab was
> > moved out of the screen. Question is: is that really often the
> > case?
> > Now with Haiku we even have snapping screen borders, it's not that
> > easy
> > anymore to push things out accidentally.
>
> Maybe this would be good in temporary situations. Eg, when a user is
> moving the window around or resizing it.

When a user has a firm grip on a window, as when moving or resizing,
there is really no doubt which window is currently active. :)

So, maybe a full blown yellow border is over the top. To make the
active window better distinguishable, there could be other methods (all
have to be very very subtle):

 * lift it up by giving it a slightly larger shadow than inactive
windows.
 * use a very slightly lighter gray colour.
 * one could even use darker colours the further in the back a window
lies.

I can imagine that all of the above is much too costly for non-hardware
compositing. In the meantime, doing what Ryan did, and have a darker 1-
pixel border around the active and a lighter around inactive windows is
a good idea. A poor man's shadow. :)

Again subtly is key.

Regards,
Humdinger