[openbeos-cdt] Some experiments

  • From: Johan Aires Rastén <johan@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 18:05:38 +0100

I did some photoshopping to try out a few ideas. Not saying they're
better than current Haiku or that anything should be changed yet :)

1) http://www.oljud.se/files/haiku/1_border_handles_contrast.png

Painted active window border yellow to make it stand out from the
background. Also made it flat coloured because it was too distracting
when embossed.
Increased contrast on buttons and slider background to make objects
you can interact with stand out more.
Added handle on sliders because they're movable.
Tried to do something similar with the resize-corner of the
mediaplayer but it looks like crap :P
Put X as close buttons (arguments in other discussion). I know it
looks a little too heavy so it would definitely require tweaking.

2) http://www.oljud.se/files/haiku/2_flat_background.png

Made the background of the menu and toolbar flat because it felt a
little cluttered with all those lines. IMO backgrounds should be
pretty flat while objects should stand out more using gloss, shadows
and/or emboss. There's a potential risk that the menu items are
mistaken for labels so this isn't a very good solution, just wanted to
see what it would look like. Tried a yellow background, something
similar to what Mint does, but it just looked weird.

3) http://www.oljud.se/files/haiku/3_reverse_contrast.png

Reversed the contrasts of window border and contents. The reasons for
this is that I wanted to reduce focus on the border and increase focus
on window contents. I also wanted a little more difference in
luminosity between active and inactive tabs.

-) And what I didn't do: Rounded corners on anything, because it's too fiddly :)