[openbeos-cdt] Re: Some experiments

  • From: Alex Suraci <i.am@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 13:37:36 -0500

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Johan Aires Rastén <johan@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2) http://www.oljud.se/files/haiku/2_flat_background.png
>
> Made the background of the menu and toolbar flat because it felt a
> little cluttered with all those lines. IMO backgrounds should be
> pretty flat while objects should stand out more using gloss, shadows
> and/or emboss. There's a potential risk that the menu items are
> mistaken for labels so this isn't a very good solution, just wanted to
> see what it would look like. Tried a yellow background, something
> similar to what Mint does, but it just looked weird.

Perhaps there could be a light gradient behind the menu area, similar
to the original but without the lines?

I don't think that the menu area should be completely flattened; it
*is* an interactive UI element so it deserves a little bit of pop; as
you said, they end up looking like labels otherwise.

In general the "flattened" areas look a little cramped and cluttered
to me. For example, the distance between the Back arrow and the
window's border seems a little too close, and the toolbars and buttons
being in the exact same visual context is a bit unintuitive.

--
Alex