[gps-talkusers] Re: getting gps

  • From: "Leigh Anne" <mauriceandleigh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 09:29:56 -0500

Hi Tina,

That's always tricky. As you probably know, VR counselors are bound to provide services and equipment that can be reasonably justified based on a consumer's vocational or educational goals. Obviously, there is wide disparity between individual councilors, their overall understanding about blindness, and their knowledge about technology used by the blind and for what purposes.

You really have to do some thorough research to turn what at first glance might appear to be a wish list item; but through convincing persuasion, pure persistence, and demonstrated knowledge about the thing that you are asking for, can help the counselor make the case for you. Remember that your counselor has to justify expenditures to his/her superior, as well, so you can go a long way towards paving the way for the next request like this that comes up with another consumer.

Perhaps one idea would be to contact a distributor or user of the GPS program to conduct a training for consumers and professionals in your area. This could certainly open up a world of possibilities and wet the appetite of participants.

In terms of grants and technology loans, most states of which I am aware have some sort of program like this. That would be another important question to ask your counselor. If the answer comes up in the negative, you might involve them in helping you to find the resource to assist you in this worthy endeavor. There are also consumer advocacy organizations of the blind in your state with which to consult.

Those are just a couple of thoughts off the top of my head.

Best of Luck to ya,

Maurice
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tina B." <tinabir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>