[gameprogrammer] Re: Windows Telnet Server Problem

  • From: Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 12:59:30 -0500

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 16:20 -0700, Alan Wolfe wrote:
> >As he says, he is using Java, so the platform independence is
> probably
> >due to that
>
> my bad, sometimes i forget the C in C++ doesnt stand for "Common".
>
> >But it still shouldn't bring down the entire operating system, the
> >operating system should just kill the program, but then again, it
> isn't
> >the first time i have seen a user process take down windows.
>
> Ha so true! i'm not sure if it still does but a recursive batch file
> takes a system down quick.
>
> also if it's java, aren't there various versions of a java run time
> you can get made by different people?
>
> I have had almost 100% bad experience with java in windows (never
> tried on another OS) so maybe the windows implementation is bloated
> and slow, while the one written for linux is lean, mean and quick.
>
> It seems that would follow the pattern on alot of other things between
> the OS's as well...

My experience is that the Sun jvm works great under W2k, but I just down
loaded it to an XP box and the first application I opened crashed XP.
After a reboot it seemed to work just fine, but I am not running any
Java based servers on XP. I have run them on W2k for weeks with no
problems.

Sun works very hard to make sure that Java works well on Windows.

                Bob Pendleton

> hopefully if thats the case maybe theres a better java runtime or some
> way to workaround the lag issues.
>
> On 5/11/06, Rasmus Toftdahl Olesen <halfdan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         tor, 11 05 2006 kl. 12:15 -0700, skrev Alan Wolfe:
>         > Heya Stephen
>         >
>         > Is it different code under windows than it is under linux?
>         >
>         > If not what are you using to keep it cross platform?
>         >
>         > need some more details to help you out i think unless
>         someone has
>         > experienced this exact problem before.
>         >
>         > Can you post the source code somewhere you think? that might
>         help
>         > too...or if you are protective of the source, just the
>         relevant
>         > sections maybe (:
>         As he says, he is using Java, so the platform independence is
>         probably
>         due to that.
>
>         Regarding the problem it sounds, to me, to be a "memory leak"
>         or
>         whatever you want to call it in Java. This means that you are
>         allocating
>         a lot of data, and keeping it in memory rather than letting
>         the garbage
>         collector reclaim the memory. We need detailed code to find
>         such a bug.
>
>         You could start by monitoring the memory usage of your program
>         using the
>         task manager in windows.
>
>         But it still shouldn't bring down the entire operating system,
>         the
>         operating system should just kill the program, but then again,
>         it isn't
>         the first time i have seen a user process take down windows.
>
>         --
>         Rasmus Toftdahl Olesen <halfdan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>         halfdans.net

+ email: Bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx             +
+ web: www.GameProgrammer.com          +
+ www.Wise2Food.com                    +
+ nutrient info on 7,000+ common foods +