[gameprogrammer] Re: What to do after C++?

  • From: Matthew Weigel <unique@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 11:08:52 -0500

Alan Wolfe wrote:
> why GBA instead of DS?  Just curious since DS has both 2d and 3d capabilities.

The maturity of GBA emulators.

> Console programming is pretty rough though, especially handhelds,
> that'd be quite a learning curve since you have to make UBER optomized
> code just to get a decent frame rate.

Not as true as you might think.  If you have a team of artists producing
game assets, a team of designers coming up with levels and monsters and
features, and a team of programmers making it all happen, you run up
against the limits pretty quickly and have to be wise to resources.  If
you're doing it by yourself, and avoid algorithms worse than O(n),
you're going to be fine for anything you put together in a few weeks or
months to learn.

> My advice if you don't want to go that route is to get a book on
> DirectX or OpenGL game programming and go through that.

That's also good advice, and all the tools necessary to make a go of it
are also free.  I recommend the GBA because there is less API to learn,
and more just pure "this is the way games run."  It also stretches the
mind a bit to try something new. :-)
--
 Matthew Weigel
 hacker