[gameprogrammer] Re: What to do after C++?

  • From: Matthew Weigel <unique@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:20:28 -0500

Azeem Zaheer wrote:
> HI
> I am Azeem Zaheer.I have been learning C++ for almost more than one
> year.I think I have mastered all the things including object-oriented
> programming.But I still cant figure out how can I make a game.
> Do I have to learn Windows or Dos Programming necessarily?
> What I am really asking is that what does a person with a strong C++ base
> has to learn to make a game,no matter 2D or 3D.

I'll warn you, I bet you've still a lot to learn (and get tripped up by)
in C++.

That said, you might want to take a look at homebrew Game Boy Advance
development.  Between emulators, cross-compilers, and development
libraries, you can do the entire development cycle (except putting the
game on a cart to play in a real GBA) for free.  There isn't really any
ability to do 3D graphics, but the main concepts except graphics are all
there.

A bunch of information on getting started can be had at
http://www.gbadev.org, and tutorials to help you get started are
available at http://theharbourfamily.com/jonathan/?page_id=89 .

Beyond that, PC libraries (SDL or Win32, probably) and OpenGL or DirectX
is probably the next step.
--
 Matthew Weigel
 hacker