[gameprogrammer] Re: Fast development over multiple platforms, which language?

  • From: Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 13:41:28 -0600

Tough question.

You have to characterize your target market a little more. There is no
way to write an application and have it be fully portable to all the
different platforms out there. Cell phones are very different from
desktops.

If your target market is desktop x86 PCs then it *is* possible to build
a CD that just boots, loads its own OS, and lets you run games. Game
knoppix http://games-knoppix.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/ is a version of Debian
Linux that you burn to a CD and boot. It contains a complete Linux OS,
device drivers for just about every kind of sound and video card, and it
loads and configures itself to play games on nearly every PC there is.

You could take game knoppix, strip out the desktop and all the other
nice applications, and have an OS that would boot, configure itself, and
start your game. The disk would have the installer and drivers, the
Linux kernel, X, a sound library, and your game.

You could develop in any language you want from Python to C++ and have a
complete standalone game disk. Your game would then run on all the x86
machines out there. I would suggest bit-torrent as the way to distribute
the game.

There are other ways to go. But, face it, if you write for anything but
C/C++ targeting the native API of the OS it is to run on you are going
to have to deal with some overhead for the run time systems. The
question is how much do you want to deal with?

                bob Pendleton