[gameprogrammer] Re: Fast development over multiple platforms, which language?

  • From: brianevans <brianevans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 12:53:03 -0600

I guess I'm this list's Torque proponent.

The Torque engines are cross platform with windows, linux, and mac (I've
heard rumors about Xbox and FreeBSD too, but I've not confirmed them).

They have built in GUI editors, scripting, a very robust and capable
network library, and they come with complete source code.  These things,
along with platform independence, were my big requirements for choosing an
engine.

The original 3D Torque Game Engine is complex and powerful.  But people
complain about the complexity and the art path.  The new Torque 2D that has
just been released, solves a lot of the complexity that comes with 3D
games/art and enables very rapid prototyping, from what I have both heard
and seen.  People have released pretty much full featured demos (Arkanoid,
Missile Command) a few days (up to a week) after the engine was released.

You can also get ahold of it for $100 bucks with no royalty or publishing
obligations.

I haven't seen anything that really compares, free or reasonably commercial
( <$1,000 ).

Systems these days run multiple apps at a time, so people probably won't
want to reboot just to play your game.

brian.