Re: [foxboro] X Terminal

  • From: duc.do@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:31:40 -0500

Brian and all who are interested,

As luck would have it, Ron Deen, a regular contributor to the Cassandra
Project, sent me a PDF document showing the overall configuration to get the
51-series hosts to talk to Windows X-terminal emulators using dynamic IP
addresses provided by DHCP. An additional section shows how to set up a
Linux box to provide DHCP and DNS in a private network if you don't already
have those functionalities.

The document is now available at the Cassandra Project Web site:

http://www.thecassandraproject.org/misc/xterm-dns-dhcp15.pdf

It's a 1.2-MB document, so it may take a bit of time to download depending
on your connection.

Here's a synopsis from the document itself:

   "This manual attempts to explain how to setup I/A 50 Series
   hosts in combination with MS-Windows based X-Terminals having
   dynamic IP addresses for the Windows platform. Please note
   that this is NOT an Official Foxboro manual. For support you
   are suggested to contact one of the authors. They may be able
   to help.

   "Configuring your X-Terminals is not a part of this manual. I
   suggest you have a look at the X-Terminal Installation for
   Remote Display Manager and FoxView(tm) manual if that is what you
   need to do. This manual is a first attempt to setup and
   configure the DNS and DHCP services to work in this specific
   environment. This DNS and DHCP functionality is established on
   the "Corporate Network" side to which the I/A 50 Series system
   is connected through the secondary Ethernet(tm) interface only.
   We do appreciate any feedback regarding this subject. Sent
   your comments and remarks to the e-mail addresses provided on
   the cover page. Thanks in advance."

Many thanks to Ron Deen and Rob de Groot for their contribution.

Duc

--
The Cassandra Project
by the users, for the users