Re: [foxboro] Sequence code (MON, DEP, IND) opinions

  • From: "Michael Kessler" <mkessler@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 11:29:03 -0400

I work in the corn Wet/Dry Milling industry which is mostly a continuous
process with a number of batch operations.

I like CALC/LOGIC for their low overhead, deterministic behaviour, and
traceability of connections for troubleshooting. I always try these first to
solve a control problem. They can be tricky to set up, and it can be a
struggle to document them so operators can understand them but they are
reliable and cheap on resources, and once they're running they never stop.

I like IND sequence blocks for Operator Assist Sequential Start-Up/Shutdown
programs. They are also good at starting/stopping TIMERS, and
Setting/Resetting totalizers. The ability to set as opposed to connect is
useful when a controller can have many remote setpoints depending on what
step a program is on. I'm not sure how object manager loading affects the
ability to SET variables from an IND block. I suspect the IND block uses the
object manager which could cause problems if there are a large number of OM
Overruns in the CP.

Setting up complex systems using MON, IND, DEP, and EXC blocks requires a
thorough understanding of how the blocks interact with each other, and a
good amount of time for design and testing. However the end result is a very
powerful program.

Recently I discovered the STATE block, which when used in conjunction with
CALCA's,LOGIC's and an IND can provide the backbone for a quick, robust, and
easy to modify solution for some of the smaller batch type operations in the
plant such as chemical make-up and transfer, regeneration of ion exchange
beds, changing/coating check filters. I expect Foxboro stopped developing
the STATE block and put their energies into developing the HLBL progamming
language which is a shame because with a few improvements the STATE block
would be an excellent block.

Michael Kessler
KIC Systems