Re: [foxboro] Sequence code (MON, DEP, IND) opinions

  • From: <tom.vandewater@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 08:54:20 -0400

        You're right Brad.  Include files would need to be considered as
well as subroutine substitution lists that could construct a get or set
without the normal :CMPD:BLK.PARAM string most would expect.  We used a
few include files early on but decided against them because of the
confusion and time they consumed when trying to trouble shoot.  We also
steered away from subroutine substitution lists so we do something
similar to what Gabriel suggests but take the output and import it into
a queriable database table that combines the fixed/hard connections with
the get/set soft connections.  From our browser on our desktop we can
then issue a query with full confidence that we will find every ICC
reference to the block.
        More recently as we have been working on major conversion
projects and replacing a lot of ladder logic with CIN/GDEV/COUT blocks
we have been dumping the graphic connections to a text file and
importing them into an EXCEL spreadsheet to insure that our PLB graphic
references have all been changed to the new block names. =20
Gabriel asked how so I'm including it here:

From VT100 or a telnet session on your "DM" graphic host you can run
d_edit -l /usr/your_graphic_directory/* >> /tmp/graphic_connections
more /tmp/graphic_connections

while in the "more" if you type "v" you will enter into vi where you can
search and scroll to your hearts content but our next logical step is to
bring them into the database along with all of the ICC hard and soft
connections.  Our "Connections" table structure is quite simple using
only three fields:

Sink Connection         Sink Block Type   Source Connection
CMPD:SEQBLK.RI0015      IND               CMPD:AIN_BLK.PNT =20
CMPD:SEQBLK.SOFT        GET/SET           CMPD:PIDA.SPT =20
/usr/disp_dir/mydisp1   GRAPHIC           CMPD:AIN_BLK.PNT
/usr/disp_dir/mydisp2   GRAPHIC           CMPD:PIDA.SPT

        Manipulating the d_edit output file into an importable text or
.csv file using all of the UNIX commands and scripts is what Duc does
best.  The power of UNIX command line is great but if Foxboro is going
to entice older users to make a move to MS they have a lot of work cut
out for them because they don't provide easy access to the data that
most power users have become accustomed to mining for themselves in a
UNIX environment.
Cheers,
Tom VandeWater